Reports of Col. W. W. White, Seventh Georgia Infantry, commanding Anderson's Brigade, including action at Funkstown.
JUNE 3-AUGUST 1, 1863.--The Gettysburg Campaign.


August 8, 1863.

Assistant Adjutant-General.

        SIR: I have the honor to report the part borne by this brigade in the engagement near Gettysburg, Pa., on the 2d and 3d ultimo. As I was not present myself, my regiment (Seventh Georgia) having been detached and ordered to the right and flank of the line, to watch the movements of the enemy's cavalry, I have consolidated the reports of the regimental commanders.
        The scene of action was reached by a march of several miles under a broiling sun, and, a portion of the way, a terrific fire of the enemy's batteries. The position of the brigade was on the extreme left of Hood's division, and, when ordered to advance on the enemy's position, was to the rear, and supporting the Texas brigade. Soon after the Texas brigade became engaged, this brigade moved forward on a line with it, when a vigorous charge was made, which dislodged the enemy from a stone fence running diagonally with the line of battle. The supports not coming up in time, and the enemy coming up on our left flank, General [George T.]Anderson changed the front of the left wing of the Ninth Georgia Regiment, which occupied the extreme left of the brigade, but soon found they could not hold the enemy in check.
        He then ordered the brigade to retire to the crest of the hill, in the edge of the timber, where the charge commenced.
        But a short time elapsed before McLaws' division came up on our left, when General Anderson ordered another advance, which was executed with spirit and loss to the enemy. In this charge, General Anderson was wounded, in consequence of which some confusion ensued, and the command fell back a short distance the second time. The third advance was made, and resulted, after a severe conflict of half an hour in the ravine, in the rout of the enemy, which was vigorously pressed to the foot of the mountain. The loss of the enemy was here very great. From the exhausted condition of the men, together with the fact that the enemy were pouring in large re-enforcements on the right, it was deemed impracticable to follow him farther. In this charge, large numbers of prisoners were taken and sent to the rear without guard; consequently the number is not known.
        The brigade retired in good order across the ravine, and went into bivouac for the night. The skirmishers of the brigade being well in front, the rout of the enemy was manifested from the fact that no attempt was made to follow our retreat, and scarcely any effort made to annoy us in retiring.
        The loss of the brigade was heavy: 12 officers killed and 58 wounded; 93 men killed, 457 wounded, and 51 missing.
        On the morning of the 3d, my regiment (Seventh Georgia) was ordered to join the brigade where it was still in line of battle. Soon after reaching the point, an order was received from General Law to send him one regiment. The Ninth Georgia was ordered to this duty, and conducted by a courier. But a short time elapsed before another order was received from General Law for two more regiments. The Seventh and Eighth Georgia were detached and sent. In the course of an hour, the remaining regiments (the Eleventh and Fifty-ninth) were relieved by Semmes' brigade, and ordered to the right and flank, under command of Maj. Henry D. McDaniel, Eleventh Georgia. They were engaged with the enemy's dismounted cavalry, and drove them from the field.
        A report of the action has already been forwarded by Major McDaniel.
        Several squadrons of the enemy's cavalry charged through the pickets of a Texas regiment, and were galloping up to one of our batteries with the evident purpose of spiking the guns, when they were met by a charge of the Ninth Georgia Regiment, killing and wounding a number. This was the first check this column met with. On their retreat, they encountered several other regiments coming up from different points, and suffered greatly from their fire.
        Early next morning, the brigade was moved back to the main line, and threw up breastworks.
        The reports of regimental commanders, together with the complete list of the killed and wounded, have already been forwarded.
        It would be invidious to speak of individual gallantry where all behaved so well.

I am, major, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Colonel, Commanding Brigade.


August 29, 1863.

Assistant Adjutant-General.

        SIR: I have the honor to report the part borne by this brigade in the engagement near Funkstown, Md., on July 10.
        About 1 o'clock on the 10th, I was ordered by General J. E. B. Stuart verbally, through a courier, to report to him in Funkstown, to meet an advance of the enemy. This I refused to do, since I had been stationed at the bridge across the Antietam, on the Hagerstown and Boonsborough pike, by order from Brigadier-General Law, commanding division, and felt myself still subject to orders from or through him. I therefore hastened to see General Stuart in person, and was ordered peremptorily to advance with the brigade at once. I repeated again that I preferred the orders either from or through General Law. He then remarked that I was subject to his orders, and, as to this man Law, he knew nothing of him. General Stuart being so much my superior in rank, I felt bound to obey his orders, and I immediately returned and brought the brigade forward.
        I was met in Funkstown by an aide from General Stuart, who conducted me to General Fitz. Lee, and was ordered by him (General Lee) to halt in the road until he had opened fire on the enemy with his batteries. After a halt at this point of some ten minutes, I was ordered by General Lee to move forward by the flank through a narrow lane, a la cavalry, to within 150 yards of the enemy, before deploying in line of battle. I protested against this order, wishing to deploy my line before getting under fire of the enemy, but was not allowed to do so.
        I was subjected to a raking fire from the enemy, and it was with great difficulty that my line was formed, there being several fences and small houses in the way.
        Once formed, we pushed forward to the crest of the hill, driving the enemy's sharpshooters from the barn behind and in which they had advanced in heavy force. Here the right regiment (Fifty-ninth Georgia) halted, owing to the confusion caused in their ranks by the fire of Stuart's Horse Artillery, who threw and exploded several shells in their ranks, killing and wounding 6 men in one company and several in others. The left and center were advancing in splendid order, and would have continued to advance but for orders from General Lee to fall back.
        The Seventh Georgia was not engaged with the brigade, having been detached and sent over several days previous to protect the road on the right of our position. They were engaged, however, all day on the 10th, skirmishing with the enemy. As a list of casualties has already been forwarded, I only annex synopsis:

Command  Killed  Wounded  Total
8th Georgia  ---  11  11
9th Georgia  2  9  11
11th Georgia  1  8  9
59th Georgia  10  27  37
Total  25  101  126

I am, sir, very respectfully, &c.,

Colonel, Commanding Brigade.