Civil War Letter From A. A. McAfee
Shelby, N. Carolina,
Mar. 5th, 1863
I have not been finally conscripted, but have taken an appeal. The enrolling officer had written to Raleigh for orders whether to conscript enlisted officers or not, but didn't receive any answer while here, & therefore had to conscript them, allowing them an appeal to the Col. of conscripts. If the Col. decides that militia officers are conscripts, then they have the right to volunteer & go wherever they please. I expect to go to Leroy's Regt. as soon as I can get him a pair of boots made. I don't care which way the decisision is made. What Regt. has John gone to? When did you hear from Sallie? Ma is well, and has a pair of new shoes.
This Page last updated 02/28/02
RETURN TO LETTERS FROM THE PAST PAGE