Report of Brig. Gen. Henry H. Lockwood,
U.S. Army, commanding Second Brigade.
O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XXVII/1 [S# 43] -- Gettysburg Campaign

July 16, 1863.

Capt. S. E. PITTMAN,
Asst. Adjt. Gen., First Division, Twelfth Army Corps.

        CAPTAIN.: I have the honor to render the following report of the operations of this command during the late battle near Gettysburg: After a long and painful march from Baltimore, via Frederick City, two regiments of this command, namely, the First Regiment Potomac Home Brigade, Maryland Volunteers, Col. William P. Maulsby, and the One hundred and fiftieth New York Volunteers, Col. J. H. Ketcham, arrived, and reported to the First Division, Twelfth Army Corps, at 8 a.m. July 2. They were posted at various places until about 5 p.m. of that day, when, having received an order to support the left wing of the army, then heavily engaged, they were marched to and deployed near a battery, then firing on the enemy. The First Regiment Potomac Home Brigade, Maryland Volunteers, Col. William P. Maulsby, formed the first line, and the One hundred and fiftieth New York Volunteers, Colonel Ketcham, the second line. Thus formed, these regiments, under my charge, advanced about I mile, a portion in double-quick, amid the most terrific firing of shells and musketry, to and beyond the extreme front, driving the enemy before them and entirely clearing the field. A battery which had fallen into the hands of the enemy was retaken, and on our return drawn off the field by hand by a detachment of the One hundred and fiftieth New York.
        On a portion of the ground over which we drove the enemy, was found a number of dead and wounded. The latter were cared for by Dr. Willard, assistant surgeon, First Regiment Potomac Home Brigade, Maryland Volunteers, who, having with difficulty procured ambulances, removed them to the hospitals. This occupied him nearly the whole night. The command withdrew from the field by special order after full darkness set in.
        I cannot too much commend the cool and steady courage of both officers and men on this trying occasion, which is the more remarkable as it was the first time they had been under fire.
        I am specially indebted to Colonel Maulsby, not only for his daring and intrepidity, but for many suggestions, which were the more valuable in consequence of his knowledge of the ground upon which we were operating.
        Early on the morning of the 3d, these regiments supported a battery placed to shell the woods in front of the rifle-pits on our right. At about 6 a.m. I received orders to deploy a regiment and engage the enemy within these woods. Colonel Maulsby's regiment (First Potomac Home Brigade, Maryland Volunteers) was selected for this purpose. Under my command, the wood was entered, and the enemy engaged and driven back behind a stone wall, which was nearly parallel with the turnpike. While preparing to charge and drive him from this cover, information reached me that another regiment was taking him on his right, and that our fire would damage that movement. Having already lost in killed and wounded some 80 men, and our ammunition being short, I withdrew the regiment, and returned to the turnpike.
        I cannot too strongly commend the courage and good conduct of every officer and man engaged in this fearful enterprise.
        Soon after our return, the One hundred and fiftieth New York was detailed for duty in the rifle-pits, and successively the other regiments of the command (now increased by the arrival of the First Eastern Shore [Regiment], Maryland Volunteers, Colonel Wallace) were assigned to the same duty. Finding Brigadier-General Greene already on duty at this position, I declined taking command, though his senior, and served under him there. The detailed operations of the regiments here are made in the accompanying regimental reports. I believe that every man did his duty.
        Toward the close of the day, I was ordered to cover the center, and, on my arrival near the cemetery, was directed to hold myself in readiness to re-enforce any point requiring aid. Here we remained inactive until near evening, when we were ordered to occupy the breastworks on the right, near the position we had held on the previous day.
        It only remains for me to notice the conduct of the troops. Considering that these regiments, as such, had never before been under fire, I claim for them praise for the coolness and firmness exhibited by them. Beyond a too rapid fire and a too hasty and inconsiderate advance, I have nothing to find fault with.
        I beg leave to notice favorably my personal staff, to whom I am indebted for very efficient service, and both of whom had their horses killed by shot and shell on the 3d.

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,